Tuesday, October 04, 2005

My family

Since I've started blogging, it's all been about what's been happening with me. So I thought it would be nice to share a little bit about how the Lord's hand had worked in the lives of the rest of my family. But first, a little background info...

Let's start with dad. He grew up in a family of 12-my grandparents and 10 siblings-in a little town bout 30mins from KL city centre. He left for Melbourne for uni studies in 1975 and was there til 1979. While in Australia he gave his life to the Lord and he met my mom there, too! They got married in 1981 and, I think, spent a year or two working in Melbourne before heading back to Malaysia to settle.

Ok, I'm gonna digress to mom for a bit now then I'll link them both up again. Mom grew up in a Christian home with 1 older brother and 2 younger sisters and of course my grandparents. She lived in KL city centre most of her life and left for Melbourne to uni in 1975, too. She finished her studies before dad did and applied for PR, which allowed her to hang around in Melbourne to work while dad was still studying.

SO, they were back in Malaysia probably about late 1981-early 1982. From what I have been told, they attended church an a regular basis and hung out with friends etc. Then I came along. I never remembered dad ever going to church while I was growing up. I think it was my mom's parents that got me going to church; so you can say that I have always been around church . Even though mom and dad didn't go to church, we were raised in a good Christian environment and I have to say that they did a rather good job (I think so anyway). 3 years later, Ian came along. It was the same routine with Ian as it was with me.

About 1996, we shifted to a slight bigger place and just down the road was a new church. Mom was invited to go by a friend and we (Ian and I, dad was out of the church going scene for a long time now) tagged along. I rather enjoyed it and a couple of years later I became really involved with the youth group and worship team. Mom eventually stopped attending coz she didn't feel comfortable there. So that was mom out of the church scene too! Ian was always more interested in sleep so it was me that was left going to church.

In 2003, mom and Ian moved a little closer to me-they migrated to NZ. I don't know how, but mom found ECW. They were located in Bucklands Beach but moved to Botany. This was handy coz now church is only 2mins away! Mom's been attending ever since. She is not too involved in the church as such but she has taken on the responsibility of BSF admin coordinator for her class. This is just so amazing to me because from seeing her not going to church at all while back in M'sia to now being invovled in the Lord's work, I just find that really cool. Apart from what she does for BSF, she is also an ESOL tutor. This means that she teaches English to new migrants for free. She is currently tutoring a Croatian lady and they are both having an absolute ball.

Then Ian. Where do I even start?! As much as Ian is a pain, I do love him. To see him grow from year to year has just been such a testimony in itself. I would have never thought he'd wanted to be involved in the worship team let alone be excited bout church every Sunday! So now, he's playing the drums for the 10am service and is really trying to play for cession too. He practices everyday (which often drives me up the wall) and I just think it's amazing how far he has come.

Now dad relocated to NZ with us this year to go back to uni to pursue his first love, (well, maybe second!) cooking and food. So since he's been here...he goes to church EVERY Sunday! I couldn't believe it when it first happened. Now, he not only goes to church every week he is also always wanting to see what he can do to help me out for chow. Recently he has had this burning desire in him to do something for the less fortunate-possible even volunteering to cook for them. We'll see what comes of it.

*I do apologise for the photo! It is rather ancient but I don't have a recent one.

3 comments:

BJ said...

Awesome to get the back story on your story - thanks for sharing it!

Sarah said...

Yeah, good to hear your background! Go hard bud :)

Anonymous said...

Love the photo jeanie, aww you're all so cute!!

By the way, happy birthday ;-)