Thursday, September 29, 2005

Questions

A lady named Claire, posted a comment on Frank's blog in response to Frank's post of 'How Can We Know There Is A God?" and in her comment it was full of questions. These weren't just any old questions but rather very valid and good questions. This got me thinking..."Why don't I ask these questions?". It's not like there is a clear cut answer to those questions.

I used to think that I got it all figured out and that Christianity was a very clearly laid out religion and all you have to do is follow the 'rules' and you'll be sweet. And so, when a question like "How do you know that God cares about you?" would pop into my head I would tell myself coz the Bible says so, the pastor says so and I would feel really guilty questioning God like that. So I would just brush it off and then another question like "What happens when you encounter a situation that you feel that God isn't enough, when it says very clearly that He is enough and that you don't need anything/anyone else?" and I'd go through the same process of feeling guilty and brushing it off.

SO, reading Claire's comment really got me thinking and also reminded me of something I read during my devotions: Honest doubts are ok. Why? Well honest doubts can lead to a greater understanding of God and to a greater relationship with Him. It may also lead to a new level of trust for the Lord. Thanx very much Claire, for getting me thinking and reminding me that asking questions is ok and Frank, thanx for getting the ball rolling.

Well, it's coming to the end of my first week of holidays now. It's been very low key and, I know this may sound crazy but hardly surprising, I am going insane with boredom! But the weekend is looking up-well, kinda. I've been down with a cold, that has been trying to strike for the past month but wouldn't hit. That shows how much my body needs rest, huh?! So, the weekend...I'm hanging out with Sarah for the most part tomorrow and I now have Saturday free coz Leadership Training has been postponed til Nov. Looks like I have to tackle some assignment. YUK! Then Sunday. Got a baby shower to go to and I'm looking forward to that. Also, I have been rostered on to sing for cession but I'm not sounding too crash hot at this point in time so we'll have to see. However, I have a strong hunch that I'll have to get someone to replace me. Aahhhhh.........good times.

I'd best be off then. And remember, keep asking!

3 comments:

BJ said...

This is a cool blog Jean...glad you started it...

(PS You were right though: you should always do what the pastor says...)

jeanie said...

Now now Brett, let's not get all big in the head!

ps: and thanx for pushing me to get started! I'm really enjoyin it

Anonymous said...

You're so right Jean, if you don't ask questions about your faith you are merely consuming it! One of the disciples said "Lord I believe, help my unbelief" or something to that effect. Your post made me think of that :)
Good luck for getting through the rest of the holidays! I have loads of assignmemts that need doing if you're that bored!