Monday, October 17, 2005

Supersize?


You may be thinking, "What the.....?" Well, Supersize me is the title of the current series we are tackling at church. We are concentrating on the Holy Spirit-who he is, what his role is etc. The first two weeks were an absolute blur to me. It was really hard trying to make sense of it all and whenever I thought I came to some sort of a conclusion about what the nite's message wasit just wouldn't make any sense. Those were quite fustrating and challenging weeks.

However, last nite was amazing! Ryan led worship with Sarah and I on vox. It was Sarah's and my first time singing together and we had a blast. Sarah did a great job on harmony (even if she may think otherwise!). So many came up to us after saying we did a good job. It was so encouraging and up lifting. It's people like that that remind me, time and time again, why I love cession SO much. These people are real...not fakes. They are not hiding behind masks.

So tonite Brett spoke on the Holy Spirit as oil-how the Holy Spirit is the giver of gifts. What impacted me most was the songs Ryan chose for the second bracket of worship. The song that hit me most is called Blessed be the Name of the Lord. I'll give you the words...

Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be your name
Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Every blessing you pour out I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord Blessed be your name

How appropriate-the bridge especially so. How often do we sing songs like that? And how often we only give God lip service but not actually heart service? Do you really mean what you sing?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had an awesome time worshipping with ya bud! And yeah everyones comments were so encouraging :) Not so sure about that harmony thing....I'll have to borrow your Shaun MacDonald CD back to get up to speed.

I've always liked that bridge aswell, it's my favourite part of the song.

I'm off to meet you now and see how your presentation went! :)

Anonymous said...

Totally agree about that song - it's a real heartcry ae.

It amazes me how God brings everything together... I went to a funeral today of one of my fave teachers from highschool who died of cancer. He specifically requested that song to be sung, and it was just right.

Hope your presentation went well jeanie!!

Anonymous said...

Love that song- specially how it reminds me of Job, praising God even when his life had fallen to pieces. Now thats the right attitude!
By the way Doofishy, looking forward to your visit to Melb. You are welcome to cook at my place anytime! ;-)