Thursday, July 03, 2008

Life as it is...

...at the moment I'm on holiday and for the most part, I am enjoying it.

Despite being rather hectic, the last few weeks of uni went well. After my manic few weeks of uni & work, it's calmed down quite a bit in terms of having to run around like a headless chook and I've been able to get more sleep. However, the stress of assignments, assessments and competition paper has still plagued me.

The last assessment of the semester went extremely well and I am savouring that 'perfect' and am still on cloud nine. :) This was the first assessment that we had to come up with our own flavour combination, recipe, plating etc. And for the first time ever, I managed to get a 'perfect' out of my tutor and it's something I'll keep aiming for... Here's some pictures of my assessment.

Cold dessert: Buttermilk Pannacotta, Lavender Raspberry Soup, Honey Snaps, Honey Foam












Hot dessert: Apple Rosemary Tart, Poached Rhubarb, Rhubarb Ice Cream, Apple Rhubarb Gel









This weekend is the Auckland Regionals Competition. And yes, I am competing. It was at this competition 3 yrs ago that I competed for the very first time and hated it. And this weekend is the first time I'm competing in this exact same competition since then and the process leading up to the competition this time round has been a much more pleasant journey, but it hasn't been without it's frustrations and sleepless nites. I am nervous but yet looking forward to it. Once it is over, I will endeavour to put up photos.

Since being on holiday, it's been interesting. This week, I have had the house to myself-my parents are back in KL and Ian has been away with friends. It's been nice to have a quiet house but at the same time it can get pretty lonely. But I have been out and spending time with friends; on Wed, Kate and I spent the day making engagement invites with Becs and then came back to my place and I made hamburgers for dinner over dvd. Sara joined us for that too so it was a nice girls nite. The today, we took the kids of the parents for the morning and went to the zoo. The weather held up really nicely too. Awesome day all in all.

So it's competition stuff that will keep me busy for the weekend before I start prep-ing for dinner next week. I'm having some friends over for dinner. I'm looking forward to it. It's just something I do when I have the house to myself. Then it's work on Sat evening followed by a busy Sunday before mom gets back on the Mon.

I am on holidays but I am still keeping occupied...Sheer bliss. Aaahhhh.....

No comments: