Monday, June 09, 2008

All work & no play

Currently, being able to even sit down in front of a computer and hear myself take every breath of air is a rare moment worth savouring. Over the past 2 weeks, I've had to have my Energiser batteries running on full mode for 70 hrs/week. At the moment, no word comes to my mind to describe just how crazy it has been.

On top of my current commitments at uni and church, I had to pick up a few extra shifts at work due to staff shortage and dramas. It was organised weeks before and I agreed to it. I was restrained enough to only commit to an extra 2 days and not 3 , which I could easily have said yes to. However, it has still meant that I do 2x20hr days + a 17hrs day to follow and add that to the othe days I've either got other classes, training, work or church.

I have been running on adrenalin for most of the fortnight but despite being so completely drained, I can still say that I love what I do. In that sense, it has been very reassuring that I am in the right industry and it is something I can see myself continue doing for a long time. This decision that I made 5 yrs ago for my career has so far been the best decision I have made for myself, no regrets.

This week is yet another 70 hr week, unfortunately. Fingers crossed that this will be the last of it. However, even if the hours drop next week the madness still goes on as we are fast approaching the Junior Culinary Fare which is being held on July 5&6. Training is well underway for that and for the most part is has been going well. There is just a fair bit of refining to do to my dish before I can be happy with it.

Besides training for the Regionals, I've also been training for Nationals which is being held in September. Soudns crazy to be training SO far in advance but nothign beats being prepared. Training for this event hasn't been going as smoothly and at times does take a lot out of my and create more frustration and grief then it does satisfaction.

So for this current moment, I can only take each minute as it comes and just continue to breath. I am very much looking forward to the break I will have after Regionals but til then...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy Moley Jeannie Weannie! What are you doing to yourself girl?
I thought exam time was bad and that I was crazy as coconuts, but you take it to a whole new level!

But as you say, at least you LOVE what you do - how many of us can say that about our jobs? Too few!

Make sure you get to Melbourne for our reunion.....where lots of food will be consumed I have no doubt!

Prayers are coming your way - your Guardian Angel is working overtime!

Toodles,

Alice (aka Wooley!)