Saturday, June 03, 2006

Some things to smile about

This weekend is when everyone is away but Jean is left alone.....

Most cessionites are away at the annual Queen's B'day Weekend Convention but I had to work so I am stuck in Auckland on my own. Kinda bored and lonely but it hasn't all been bad.

This week was the week of my Magic Box assessment. Since I was rather worried about it, I asked the Powell's & Ritchie's if they minded being guinea pigs. So on Wednesday, they had to endure my cooking. Wasn't the best meal but I guess it was alright. You'll have to ask them if you wanna know what dinner was like...

I had the assessment on Thursday and came VERY close to having to resit! Thank goodness I didn't. I passed with 74%. Not great at all but at least I didn't have to do a resit (most in the class had to). Just to share with you what I made....here are photos.


Entree: Polenta Crusted Hapuka with Potato Salad.








Main: Pan Seared Honey & Lemon Pork Fillet with Pilaf, Chargrilled Courgette, Roasted Mushroom, Tamarillo/Tomato Chutney





So that's 2 things, so far, to smile about; a group of such willing guinea pigs. They said yes without knowing what they were getting themselves into! And passing my Magic Box assessment.

I worked my last shift at Celsius today. Woohoo!!! I'm so glad to be outta there. We just recently had a new head chef, Emily, that took up the job and she's not a very pleasant person. Sooner or later I was gonna leave anyway but she basically decided for me how soon I was leaving. I will miss the other colleagues, though. Anyhow, that's thing number 3 to smile about.

13 days (and counting) til Katherine arrives.......I'm getting more and more excited as the number of days decrease. Thing number 4 to smile about.

Last but not least, I HAVE A JOB! It's official, I will be working at Sky City. After my interview on Tuesday with my previous Sous Chef, reference checks were done and yesterday I received the much awaited call. Hossein called me and asked me pick up my contract from him. This is definitely an answered prayer. It reminded me of Melissa's message from a few weeks back; to have faith is to know that your prayer will be answered but don't expect the prayer to be answered in the specific way you want it to.

Working in a hotel has been my prayer since day one of starting this course and choosing this career path. The way I saw it (and still do) is that being in a hotel is the best way to travel the world. So with every ad for a hotel, I submitted an application but everytime it was declined. It was disappointing but what can you do. I resorted to working at various other places like Smokeys, Celsius, filling in at Willow Park etc etc.

Little did I know of His sneeky plan...I now have a job at Sky City! This news was what put the biggest smile on my face this weekend. Thanx Father.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news Jean! I am so pleased, what a blessing!

Geekery said...

Awesome news - congrats!

PS - you're not the only one who hasn't made the trek to Taupo this weekend!

jeanie said...

Thanx guys.

Jono, I know I'm not the only one but with those still around being so far from me, it just feels like I'm all alone... :(

Hope you guys are well, esp Dione.

BJ said...

This is awesome news! Congratulations...

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Why didn't you tell me about your job when we were chatting last night?

Fantastic news - and I know you'll do a great job.

jeanie said...

Sorry....

Well when I said that photos from the Magic Box were on the blog I figured you would have went there already. I guess, you know now! :)

Btw, fell free tosend any prezzies you want to sent over with Kath...hehehehe (just kidding)

Anonymous said...

funny how the dish was made of pilaf with its turkish roots, hence allusions to islam and right beside it are pork fillets, with the local veggies as sort of the neutraliser between worlds... maybe there is an avenue for making political n religious statements through food? LOL

jeanie said...

In this day and age, unless you are working in specific areas (ie restaurant or country) it is perfectly acceptable to put different cuisines on one plate. It's called FUSSION! :)

But yea, funny how we can find all sorts of ways to make a statement. Even if it's through food....