Tuesday, May 23, 2006

A sprinkle of this & a dash of that

This post isn't about anything in particular but a little bit of everything that has been going on for the past week. There's been so much that has happened I just need to process it before I explode.

The pass few weeks have been rather stressful; a combination of finishing up at uni, ministry work load, work and dealing with people. This got me thinking..."Why have I been placed in a position where I am constantly having to deal with people, beit good or bad?". Of course this is mainly centered around chow but it does flow over to the other areas of my life.

Being the chow leader, I am always having to recruit people, confront people. encouraging people, being nice to people, welcoming people etc etc etc and the list goes on. It revolves around people. In the wider scheme of things, the cooking part of chow is like 5% of what chow is about.

And I am far from being a 'people person'. I am extremely introverted and a real perfectionist. People and me just don't add up. I hate going up to someone I don't know and introducing myself. I hate being in a large group when I don't know people (sometimes even if I do know the people I still hate it). I avoid conflict where possible, which means even if people piss me off I don't say anything. I just keep it to myself and stew. And if there happens to be a blow up, I just leave it and avoid ever trying to confront the party(s) involve at all cost.

So why am I a leader? What did Juanita see in me? What did Brett see in me?

Don't get me wrong. I love being able to be in ministry. I have always wanted to be part of ministry but was never given that opportunity. I was always told that I'm not worth it, I'm not good enough. So I am very honoured to have been asked to take up this role, even though at times it's hard.

Again, why am I in a 'people role' when I hate dealing with people? I don't know. Maybe you have some input on this matter......Do share.

On another note, we were in week 3 of our current series on Sunday. Melissa talked about how when God decides to answer your prayers, sometimes it comes in small things or in bits and pieces. But sometimes it comes as something extravagant, like the parting of the Red Sea. While we are waiting, all we need to do is be still. Hard, I know! I'll be the first to admit that. I am always wanting things right there and then. Not just now, not later but NOW! But actually, what I need to be doing is to be still.

She went on to talk about manna. (See Jonathan's blog for a definition of manna). So what is my manna? What are the little things that I hang on to as I go about each day? What are you grateful for?

Each day, I am exceptionally grateful for the friends I have. The true friends. The ones that I know will miss me, the ones that I share pain and joy together, the ones that love me for who I am-the imperfections and all (I know...I said it!). I have always found it hard to gain friends let alone good & great friends. But I now have some and feel very blessed to have them as part of my life. (It is a bummer though, that they are everywhere-USA, NZ, Australia. If only I could have them all in the one place....)

I am also appreciative of the fact that I have been able to study in the field that I have so much passion for. How many people do you know that are in courses that they hate? And they are there coz their parents said they had to? I'm glad I was able to find a course that I would enjoy ploughing through, even though I had to leave my favourite city.

For those that have been keeping up with the blog, you'd know that I am finishing up at uni in about 2 1/2 weeks and so I am looking for work. About the end of last week, I put in 3 applications over the internet through Seek. I wasn't expecting anything coz I have put a few applications in through Seek before but to no avail. But I thought it was still worth a try; if I didn't get anything then at least I tried but if I got something then sweet.

Well, to my absolute surprise I got calls, today, from 2 of the 3 places I applied to but I only managed to pick up one of the calls. So I have my first interview on Thursday @ 3pm. It's a new hotel that's opening in Auckland city on Waterloo Quadrant. It doesn't have a name yet...But another cool thing was that my old head chef that left Celsius about 3 months ago called me up later in the day too. There's an opening for a commi and so we'll see where that goes. He's at Sky City and I meet him on Tuesday @ 2.30pm.

So doors seem to be opening for me...Hopefully at least one stays open. I'll keep you posted.

Today is Sarah's 21st b'day. Happy Birthday Sas! I had 2 parts to her present. One of it was dinner at Portofino's Mission Bay. The other part to her present was a surprise that I organised about 2 weeks prior to dinner last nite. I had organised to have the cell group meet us at Portofino's to surprise Sarah and it was good! We had a blast and I'm so glad I didn't let the surprise slip. (I'm like the worse liar ever!)

I have finally managed to crack my lecturer. What I mean by that is that whenever I present my food to him, there are no more complaints. Only good comments and the occasional productive criticism. You don't understand how much relief I felt when I brought up my entree for my Magic Box practice last Thursday. I was the first one up there and was crapping in my pants with a million guesses of what he was gonna say bout my dish. But he surprised me by saying, "There is absolutely nothing wrong with this dish at all. Well done." I couldn't believe my ears when I heard that. And it's now the third day in a row that I've managed to not have him tell me off. If I keep this up, all my assessments are looking good. But I don't want to get my hopes up too much. I still need to pass before I can gloat!

So as you can tell, there's been a lot happening and I had to get it out somehow. (I hate writing and prefer typing so it came out here).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two interviews already? Great news!! I'm not surprised your old boss is hunting you down - I'm sure he would know what a great worker he'd be getting.

Well done on your magic box entree - good luck with the real thing - hopefully there isn't lots of capsicum :P

And good luck also with the rest of your assessments.

*big hug*

BJ said...

I hate to be the first one to comment on the issue you asked for feedback on, so I won't... Instead I'll make one observation and ask 2 questions:

Observation: You say you aren't a people person, yet in the very same blog you express the great value you place on friends and demonsrate that with a sacrificial gift for a friend.

Questions:

1. What is it about your true friends that you really value when it comes right down to it?

(1 mark)

2. What is it about dealing with people that creates friction for you when it comes right down to it.
(1 mark)

Compare and contrast answers to 1. and 2. (5 marks)

;)

jeanie said...

Boy do I feel like I'm at mentoring....(I sonehow see this being something that we will be talking about. *sigh*). Talk bout hard questions!!!! Well, I'll attempt to answer them. Don't know how well I'll do though.

1. I value the fact that they have accepted me for who I am-my character, my personality, my madness, my perfectinism. For those friends who don't follow Christ, I appreciate that they don't have a problem with my believes and respect them esp. where theissue of alcohol is concern. Because I am always so weary of people, I am grateful of their patience with me and their continuous reassurance that I can trust them. And of course, I cherish each moment we spent together. I remember every single moment that I have spent with every single friend of mind-from my friends in M'sia, to the ones in Melb, to the ones that I currently have around me in NZ. And I distinctly remember what we got up to and all the little bits that may have seemed insignificant.

2. Because I am always worried about what other people think of me, I try my best not to create conflict so that others don't see my ugly side (believe or not, I do have one and it can get bad). If I do end up having to talk to the person face to face, I find it really hard to get all that I want to say out. I find it a very stressful thing to do, on top of all the other things I find stressful.

3. I don't know how to compare or contrast question 1. and 2.. Would you like to elaborate, Brett?

As for your observation, as I was telling Jonathan, it depends on who I am with, how many people there are around etc etc. If it's a real small grp of people I know, I love it. But if I don't know people or if it's a real big group...not my cuppa tea. Sometimes, even if it's a big grp of people and I know them, I may not necessary enjoy being in that situation either.

Now can you answer MY question? :)