Sunday, November 11, 2007

Updates

I know...I know...I've been VERY VERY slack with updating. Let me try and make it up with this post:

Well it's been a pretty crazy few months since starting term 4. It's gone by with extreme speed, I must say! 3 weeks into the term and we had our first assessment, 2 weeks later it was our final assignment was due in along with having our final theory assessment and the following week we had our final practical assessment. So it's been full steam ahead, as you can see. No complains from me though, that assessments and assignments are over and done with for the year. As much as I enjoy them, they were getting a bit draggy and I was starting to really dread them. But it's done now.

Since we've finished with the business end of the year, we've been starting on some things that need to be done for our final buffet that is being put on next week. A friend and I have been spending all our free time at uni making marzipan animals and a potrait for the buffet. It looks pretty cool, dare I say. I'll post some pictures next week of the buffet when it's all set up.

In the midst of all that, I resigned from Sky City and landed myself a job at a new fine dining restaurant on Dominion Rd, Merediths. The chef/owner is Michael Meredith who was the previous head chef at The Grove.

I'm yet to start work at Merediths but I have officially been offered the job. I'm very much looking forward to it; with much to learn. It's a tiny 28 seater restaurant with an open kitchen, gorgeous interior and toilets are quite spectacualr too! (I know it sounds crazy to be analysing a toilet but toilets are one of the few tell tale signs of whether or not the restaurant is about to go under!).

Everything, with the exception of breads and cheese are all made on site, including desserts! That was just such an awesoem thing for me when I saw that. At least this course will come in very handy for me to put what I have learnt into practise.

However, landing this job meant that I have had to put my trip to Melb on the back burner again. But I'm not too annoyed about it, considering I got a free trip earlier in the year and saw eveyrone I wanted to see then. Granted, it was a very rushed trip but it was still a trip. So it'll just have to be next time...

I am still making the trip back to KL in Jan. It's a month long trip with 2 weeks of it spent in Vietnam and Singapore. My friends and I are doing a trip to each others countries and they will be spending 2 weeks after Vietnam and Singpore in KL with me. We are all looking forward to it...however, I'm not looking forward to the pounds that I will pack on from that month long food-filled constant-eating trip!!! Oh the sacrifice...

With this new job, I will also be having Xmas and New Year's off! A rare occasion and one that I'm looking forward to. It's because the restaurant closes over that period, so I get time off...Otherwise, I would've spent another Xmas and New YEar staring at pots and pans and stoves-though, I really shouldn't complain...it's part of the industry and I knew that before I got myself into it. But I will def savour this time off over New Year and Xmas.

Besides, work and uni there hasn't been much else happening. I'm still on a break from ministry. I'm still not sure when I will get stuck into it again but it is being considered at the moment. It's been hard to take a break but I know that it was needed. It's often even hard to think about it but it needs to be done. So we'll see what happens when the new year rolls round.

Well, that's about it for news for now. I hope it has made up for the lack of posts over the last month and I will endeavour to put a few more posts up when holidays roll round in the next week or so.

No comments: