Wednesday, April 12, 2006

I hate soufflés!

Today we had our pastry assessment and did it suck or what?! On the menu was:

Baked Grand Marnier Soufflé
Beignet aux Pomme (Apple Fritters) with Apricot sauce
Apple Strudel with Crème Anglaise (Custard Sauce)

I got 78% or a B+. I was not happy (the perfectionist returns!). The Strudel turned out well so I was happy with that. The Fritters were too cold and not cooked enough so I was a bit annoyed by that but the one that sucked the most was the blooming soufflé! The one thing that I didn’t have an issue with during class had to go wrong during my assessment. So anyone coming to my place for dinner, don’t expect soufflés for dessert…

My theory is that stressing actually helps with me getting good marks! Sorry Melissa, but there is nothing you can say to make me change my mind on this one. Last nite, I was actually very cool, calm and collected. I got to uni early to and still in a good state. I got into class and assembled my ingredients and I was still good. Melissa, you would have been proud. But the one time I’m not stressed or worried, I screw up! So, from now on I am continuing my stressing streak. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding your comment:

But the one time I’m not stressed or worried, I screw up! So, from now on I am continuing my stressing streak.

Now you may well have been only joking with these two sentences - I don’t know - but going with the ‘every jest contains a kernel of truth’ school of thought I will take them, to some degree, at face value and hence the following diatribe.

When learning the basics of logical reasoning (see any stage 1 philosophy text) you will find that it is faulty thinking to assume general causality from a single experience. The idea that being “not stressed or worried” somehow caused you to under-perform is pretty bad reasoning. The fact that you are learning makes a strong case that you should expect to make mistakes. Even then, no one this side of life is infallible, learner or not.

I think the biggest lesson you are in the process of learning has little to do with French baking techniques and a lot to do with living with imperfection – the state of reality that all people live in. Every second of every day. Striving towards perfection generally sees us achieve more than we might in any given area of life, which is very worthwhile, but it is always a movement in a direction – never a destination.

All the best with the final phase of your course. Always look to achieve but don’t forget to enjoy the process. I look forward to sharing in some of your ‘achievement’, and more importantly in your friendship in the coming week.

Arohanui,
Jacob.

Geekery said...

If you can cook Apple Strudel with Crème Anglaise then you cann come to my place for dinner..... ;o)

jeanie said...

Thanx to all for your lovely comments...

Jake, you sound so much like your wife it's scary! It's like having 2 Melissa's hassling me. But, yes as much as I have a hard time accepting that it's not the destination but the journey, I know it's true. I'm ecstatic that you and Melissa get to be a part of a very exciting part in my life. I'm very thankful for that. And I'm very honoured for the friend I have in you, too.

Rachel, it'll be a while before you get to see those blooming souffles! I have the same issue with quiche lorraine. It was an assessment item during my first semester and I haven't made or eaten a quiche since!

Jon, will be cool if I could have dinner with you and the family sometime...

BJ said...

You mean the souflee wins?

Whatever happened to: "If at first you don't succeed, get back on the horse, and remember practice makes something gained"

Anonymous said...

Jean, I totally understand! (except for me its essays not souffles!)