Thursday, September 11, 2008

Normality

Hmm...and by that I mean busy, lack of sleep, high stress and crazy adrenalin levels.

Currently I'm officially on a 2 week break. The last 2 months can be best described in 1 word: INSANITY. It was pretty intense; with the NZ National Culinary Salon that took place over the weekend of Aug 31-Sep 2 along with trying to keep on top of uni paperwork, assignments and assessments. The good news is that I was very well behaved and kept myself well fueled, ie I didn't loose any weight due to skipping meals.

This year, I competed in the same competition as I did last year; Nestle Toque d'Or. I won't go into details as it will take me way too long to type it out. Long story short, we ended up with a silver in the kitchen and a gold in the FOH (again, this doesn't indicate placing). There were huge dramas leading up to the competition so I did really care too much what the result was, just glad it was over and I didn't have to deal with the respective ppl ever again. But would I compete again, most definitely! Just making never with the same ppl as I just did. I love competing and have come a long way from vowing never to compete again. So, it's not something I'll give up without a fight but lets not worry bout that til next yr...

The last assessment/assignment we had prior to the break went rather well. Obviously I thought it could have gone a little better but when you have a really tough tutor, getting 100% is kinda impossible. But it isn't always a bad thing. We started another module and, with the 2 week break, are currently is slight stagnant mode. We will resume the completion of the this module along with a whole bunch of other things when we start back up.

The last half of the semester is pretty much going to be much the same like this last half-busy, high stress and adrenalin levels through the roof. However, I think sleep levels will be slightly higher..which of course I'm not complaining about!

When we go back, we begin our 'Product Development'. This is basically coming up with a product (it doens't have to be somehting new. it can be something that already exists) and basically going through various recipe trials and document this whole process. At the end of it, we need to be able to justify whether or not it is feasible to produce this product and make a profit of it.

We will also be starting to put our individual final buffets together for the end of the year. This is assessed and is basically a culmunation of the year's work. We choose a theme we like and design our buffet (according to the guidelines) accordingly. And surprise, surprise I have chosen to do Women's Artistic Gymnastics! I don't know how it'll turn out of if I'll do it justice but in my head it definitely is looking good. In true Jean-style, I have it all planned out and ready to go...actually it was all ready about 2 months ago!

Due to the madness, I knew I needed to have something in place so that I could relax and take some time out for myself (aren't you proud of me Melissa?). I have always wanted to start on some dance classes since finishing up with gym so I decided I'd start on Jazz classes. It has been great fun and I always look forward to the next class. We also started some flex and body toning classes. SO instead of only 1 hr a week for myself, I know give myself 3 hours!!! Aren't I good? :)

So that's me for the next little while, incase I don't get round to updating again.

But for now, I'm off to Melb for a 10 day holiday. It is a much needed time away from NZ and from all the madness. Hopefully I'll come back refreshed (though probably really knackered) and ready to get back into it.

1 comment:

Steve Goble said...

Have an awesome holiday Jean!

Steve.
:)