Monday, March 31, 2008

Almost half a decade

As the title suggests, it has been almost half a decade...since I left Melb for NZ-actually it's just gone 4 yrs to be exact. March 26 marked that day. I would have got this post written a lot sooner except that the last 2 weeks have seen an extremely busy girl.

The day came and went so quickly it almost slipped my mine. Maybe I was in the midst of a ridiculously busy 2 weeks of my life or that it's not that big of a deal anymore...Personally, I don't think it's the latter coz it is still a rather big deal for me.

It really hasn't felt like 4 yrs. It has gone by so quickly that it feels like I only left yesterday. Much has happened and much has def changed but the time in which all that change has happened really doesn't feel like 4 yrs has gone by.

As noted in my earlier posts, it really is starting to feel more like home here in NZ. I seem to have this sense of calm over most things. They just feel right, like being here and not in Melb. (Even though at this point Melb is not where I should be, I do think that I will be back there one day...)

So what's the latest haps in the life of Jean over the past year? Simply put, it was an absolute nutter of a year. One that I wish never to have again!

The year saw me back at uni again in a whole new class with a whole new bunch of classmates. It saw me become a poor student again as opposed to the slightly less pore full time chef. It saw me run myself down physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually and therefore saw me take time off from ministry (something I never thought I'd ever have to ever confront). It saw me with a free trip back to Melb at the Good Food and Wine Show as well as being able to catch up with those who mean a lot to me. It saw me leave Sky City, where I had been working for 1.5 years and it also saw me at a new job. A job that I really love with a bunch of ppl that are amazing to work with. The year also saw me with my best results ever academically and it saw me gain enthusiasm and love for patisserie. By the end of the year, it basically saw a very overwork, high strung, extremely stressed Jean that was very much in need of a holiday.

Fortunately, I got one. Earlier this year, I had a 5 weeks holiday to Malaysia, Vietnam and Singapore. It was well deserved and much needed. Scroll down to earlier posts on my holiday.

Despite the rather discouraging year, it wasn't all bad.

Through the hard weeks and months, I was comforted by the fact that I have a great support system around me. With those friends, I got through it. And I guess, it is this support system that has made the last 4 yrs a real joy and I know that as long as this support is around me, all is good.

So what's in store for the coming year?

Uni has has a fairly good start with a slight mishap on the way already-not really such a good start to the year but hopefully it'll get better. The rest of the year should be as much fun as the last year has been but the workload is def a lot more challenging. In a way, it's good thing. I need to be constantly challenged so as to not get bored and to keep me on my toes. I'll try and keep you updated...

Work started off really well and I will head back soon. But til then, I'll enjoy having Saturdays off...

Church has been a lot more enjoyable since I've been back. I think that time away really helped me to gain some perspective as well as get some space. And I think, once you are refresh, things seem a lot brighter!

That's all I've got to keep you entertained about me. So...in due time, there will be another update.

No comments: