Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Latest haps

As most of you know, I was very much looking forward to the plethora of food that is normally on offer in Malaysia. The variety is still evident and probably even increased. However, I have been sadly disappointed...

I don't know if it is just me and my standards/expectations have gone up or the the care and quality that goes into preparing a dish has gone down the drain! I think in some occasions it is me but more often than not, the care factor is definitely no more there. Very sad...

For a country with such incredible food to offer, why is it that they can't even get that right?! *sigh*

Anyhow, despite a few sub-par experiences there have been a couple of meals that have been rather good. Last nite I had dinner with my cousin, his new girlfriend and Auntie Jacqie and the family. What we had was a typical Chinese meal where you order an array of dishes to share and it is to be eaten with rice. We had 1 large crab tossed in a spiced salted egg sauce, vege medley in spicy shrimp paste, a whole chix just light poached serve with spring onion/ginger oil, bbq pork, red wine braised pork ribs and a traditional Chinese New Year dish (this I can't explain..). I forgot to bring the camera out but we will be back there again when my friends are up in KL. I will make sure I don't forget it then!

Earlier in the day, dad and I headed into the city-something I hate with utter passion-but it had to be done. We needed to go into the bank to sort some stuff out. But we then headed to a Japanese restaurant a little while away. This place was called Wa-Raku. It is supposed to be a fine-dining Jap restaurant. It's prices definitely reflected that but the food, though not bad but for it's prices, I expected a little more...

We've yet to battle the shopping malls again as today is a public holiday, I told dad I'm not even attempting that feat. If you think Botany and Sylvia Park are a nightmare....multiply that by 20 and that's what it's like here!

On Mon, I spent a few hours at the hairdressers and treated myself. The photo will come, Mrs O...I promise. Just be patient.... :D It's much shorter, which I really wanted and it has been thinned out. It is also no longer copper/goldish rather light brown with a redish tinge through out. I quite like it though it wasn't quite what I expected. Actually, I didn't really know what to expect since I told the hairdresser that she could do whatever she wanted but within reason. A rather interesting experience, I must say...You proud of me, Melissa...?

Well, only a few days to go before I'm off to Vietnam and catching up with the gang.

Til the next adventures...

1 comment:

Bronwyn said...

Not suprising that you are mosre criticasl of the standard of food - you have so much more experience and insight now. Just don't go volunteering to help out in the kitchens :p

I can't wait to see the hair photos!! Yes - I know you said I have to wait until you're back but one of your friends could take one, and then you download it and ...

Have a great time in Vietnam.
School starts properly for me on Tuesday. Let the madness begin.