Sunday, September 17, 2006

SkillEx Nationals

Well....2 days to go before I fly down country to the capital for 5 days. Why? I'm the Auckland representative for the Cookery category in NZ's Largest Trade Skills competition. I'm heading down with 17 other competitors from other trades + judges & chaperones.

It's both an exciting and nerve racking time for me. I'm stoked to have won the Regionals and qualify for Nationals. But I am also really nervous-coz there is a certain sense of the unknown (that I don't handle well) as well as expectation (both from myself & my lecturer).

Competing at Nationals isn't just a competition for 1st, 2nd or 3rd place, it is a competition to qualify for the Worlds. A chance to compete against the rest of my peers from the rest of the world. A chance to compete at an international level.

I want to win Nationals not to say that I'm better than everyone else and that they suck. I want to win it for the sole purpose of wanting to compete overseas to see what others are doing outside of NZ. To see where I stack up against others my age, those that I will be in competition with in 5-10 yrs time when we start owning our own businesses. And just the experience of being able to go overseas and compete.

So this last few days leading up to Wednesday are all a bit insane-trying to pack for the comp but also trying to organise the week after I get back. It'll be stressful but hopefully I don't drive myself silly coz I really want to do well and win over the 3 days of competitions.

No doubt I will be making some phone calls and sending many txt messages while I'm away. I'll be needing the support and company (even if it's via technology and not in person). I won't see many of you for a good 2 weeks, so I'll let you know how it goes when I get back.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big Hugs Jean!!
I hope the competition goes really well for you - whether you win or not. I'm just really proud of you that you have got so far, and you're facing the challenges with such courage and maturity.

Lots of love and best wishes from this side of the Tasman.

Bronny

Hungry Hedonist said...

Hi Jean,

Best of luck to you!

-Jen

Anonymous said...

go for iron jean! n win that IRONCHEF WORLD! jean wan boleh! i believe in you! may He be the peace that stills your heart in the midst of the chaotic schedule that you r facing... shalom! :)

vikinvikin

Steve Goble said...

Jean, you'll be great!

Anonymous said...

Hey I don't believe in luck so I'll just say GO FOR IT GIRL!!!